Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Wednesday, June 7, 2023

In the Garden


Siberian Iris and not the usual blue.

Peony taking its time opening.

Chives in bloom

 


Walking onions are tangling. I watched a hummingbird check out the blooms.



First irises - palest yellow.


This iris promises to bloom but a white iris I got from Vickie Lane had buds frozen in mid-May freeze.


The bleeding heart is recovering from that freeze


as is this Hosta.


Of three rhodadendren this is the newest but it too must have had buds frozen.


This one did bloom


but this one needs to be pulled from ground.  It didn't survive the winter. It's the second one we've had die.

These two heuchera (coral bells) were planted at the same time but the one above is thriving while the one below is just hanging on.





Hosta likes its location.


8 comments:

Tom said...

...be careful with chives, it will take over. Have you check the PH were you planted the rhododendron?

acorn hollow said...

My iris are blooming but I have bright purple. My Hosta are doing great.
At first I was not loving all this rain but after hearing how most everyone else is having a drought I am ok with the rain
Cathy

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Seeing the flowers blooming in your garden, Marcia, sometimes makes me miss the yard we maintained when we lived in VA, but when I remember the work involved I quickly get over that nostalgia. That said, thanks for sharing your blooms, and too bad about the rhododendrum plant.

Barbara Rogers said...

Beautiful flowers, and plants who survived the freeze. Our Rhododendrons in the wild are so hardy they just blink off snow and ice and curl their leaves waiting for warmer times. Of course a small baby one is much more susceptible to damage.

Terra said...

Maybe you could cut back the rhodie that looks dead, leave 6 to 12 inches of branches and watch it, they have a strong will to live. It might make it!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Tom’s advice about checking the PH is spot on. I am amazed how few people do this, plant in the wrong soil, and blame the garden centre for selling them “bad” plants.

Anvilcloud said...

Lovely collection. I like seeing the chives in a nice location. We have some but it’s in a very unphotogenic spot.

DrumMajor said...

I didn't know onions could walk. They appear to be like tendrils in the wind looking for something to grab. Linda in Kansas