Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Concord in December


 I had to go to Concord, our state capital, on Monday to be re-fingerprinted. Apparently the fingerprints I had taken at a local police station didn't pass FBI scrutiny in September.  Didn't find this out until the end of November and rather than paying another $50 at the local police station, Dan drove me to the Criminal Records office to have them done for $10.  You may be asking why I'm doing this?  Necessary to pass a criminal background check including fingerprints in order to volunteer at my granddaughters' school.

We made it an outing of sorts by returning to a restaurant we'd visited in 2021, The Barley House, across the street from the capitol.

We finished eating just before 3. My appointment was at 1:10.

Here is the poorest excuse for a Christmas tree we've ever seen. But the bigger surprise was this manger scene on the capitol grounds.

Someone must figure that giving time to Winter Solstice celebrants evens this out.  

No menorah or Kwanzaa candles in sight.

In the pavement in front of this arch was a time capsule.  I don't think I'll be around to read about when it gets opened in 2065.  Will you be around then?

9 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

That is a sad Christmastree.

Tom said...

...we were in Concord years ago for a wedding.

Barbara Rogers said...

There seem to be some warped Christians with a view that Solstice and the Declaration of Independence have some connection, and that thT sign makes it ok to have a Nativity scene on government property. Very sad.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

We used to have regular criminal records checks when I worked in the school, but it never included having fingerprints taken. That's a very tatty Christmas tree.

Cynthia said...

I think the fingerprints for volunteers working with children are pretty standard, and a good idea. The state’s choice to display a manger scene and then counter it with a sign promoting separation of church and state is a little confusing. There are some states where I’m pretty sure there would be some protests. It will be interesting to see if any controversy is stirred up in Concord.

Faith said...

My youngest is a Winter Solstice baby!! (dec 21) and all it has ever meant to me, other than celebrating her birthday, is that the sun will now stay out a little longer on the east coast later in the day! and Winter officially begins!

I LOVE that the nativity scene is displayed. Weird that there's no Menorah or Kwaanza candles though. I have 12 students (special ed prek) and ALL of them except 2 celebrate xmas. One celebrates Hanukkah because mom is Jewish and the other one celebrates Kwanzaa. The bill of rights has NOTHING to do with Dec 21 (Winter Solstice) but i guess it's the sentiment that counts hahahha

Deb J. in Utah said...

Concord looks like an interesting place. I think it's great that the nativity is displayed, but then I am a practicing Christian. I would have no problem with other displays as well. Like Faith, I am not at all sure that Winter Solstice has anything to do with the Bill of Rights, but I guess the message is just that here in the USA, we all have the right to practice or not practice the religious on our choice, and that is important, no matter the belief system one has. It's great that you are going to volunteer at your granddaughter's school. I hope you are having a good week. See you again soon.

Kay said...

It's nice that the school system is being careful who they allow into the school. The only thing about going into schools again is I catch colds from kids very easily. You are very wonderful to do this for your granddaughter.

That IS interesting that they have a manger scene there without equal time for Hannukah and Dewali.

Anvilcloud said...

Good for you for doing that, but displaying religious symbols for one religion only is not constitutional from what I understand as a foreigner.