Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Friday, July 1, 2022

Last of the Barns

I've been busy! But I didn't forget that I promised you some other barn tours.

First up is the most renovated barn.  This one is not used entirely for farming at all anymore.



I took one of the leaflets about classes she holds there.  I may return to take one someday.


Next up is one that's used partially for farming but in a limited way.  It's a huge complex.


I'm relying on the photo of the entire barn from the pamphlet since I didn't step far enough away to take my own photo.



First up an out building.


Looks like animals are still kept in this part of the main barn.


Double silos.  An unusual sight.


White washed walls in the lowest level.



The modern milking building attached to the barn.


Inside the main level




Now to barns in disrepair.

We could only look in both of these barns. Above the older of the two and very dark inside.



The other below where an art school was attempted.



Full of junk.
 






But I did spy this spinning wheel and notice the two trunks.  The yellow one is sitting on the seat belonging to an old wagon.


Disappointing to see barns like these in such conditions.  The next one was also in poor shape and though parts we were able to enter we didn't get far because of all the stuff.








The owner wasn't present but the person hosting the site said the owner was a collector - see the basket of pine cones above.  There were piles of sticks and branches everywhere. Discarded furniture and who knows what else filled the place.  Noticed the hutch (above) and a dark red blanket chest in the 2nd photo above.  Host said come to the auction when the owner dies!

One last barn is a model restoration.






Another spinning wheel!



This sign was painted on the blacksmith door: 5 miles and 88 rods to Town Hall Lebanon.  I guess too many people were always asking.  It was painted on but barn board weathered away some leaving the painted lettering raised.




I guess I now owe you a tour of our barn and what I learned from viewing all these.  Another post one day.


8 comments:

Tom said...

...Marcia, you sure found a lot history. Wooden silos are a flash from the past. They were made years ago in Unadilla, NY.

Anvilcloud said...

It's been a good series.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh I enjoyed seeing the ones that are refurbished, and the active ones for farming, as well as the poor old structures that are screaming for help.

Kay said...

It's so interesting to see all these old barns. They all have stories to tell. I don't know what it is about barns that drew my eye whenever we were driving cross country.

Haddock said...

Wonder how those spinning wheels work.....

Vicki Lane said...

Wow! Such great spaces! I would be embarrassed to have people tour our barb--full of junk, alas.

Fun60 said...

I have never seen or heard of wooden silos before. Lots and lots of research has gone into those barn tours. A really enjoyable series.

Cynthia said...

It’s so wonderful to see those old structures where you live being preserved and repurposed. We have nice old tobacco barns on the backroads here but no one is doing anything to save them. Most are leaning drastically to leeward and about to collapse! I have photographed a number of them. Too bad no one buys coffee table books anymore or I would write one!