Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Monday, October 23, 2017

Scotland - Some Good Eats

Some tea savories and sweets from Another Tilly's Tea Room in Dunblane.
We ended up taking some of it back to our flat.


Our first dinner was at Juniper Restaurant across from the Dunblane Cathedral.  We were still on east coast time so came for dinner at 4:30.  They were gracious enough to let us order the special for a Wednesday night: 2 steaks and 2 glasses of wine.  We ate here one other night but no photo to share.


Here is the dessert we shared - an apple crumble


Driving north to Inverness a halfway point for lunch was this nice cafe.







Inverness fish and chip shop.


Another lunch in Forfar at the Angus Kitchen (may not be the right name), we had lentil soup and


this lovely plate of food.  We had been looking for a butcher that the guide book recommended for bridies (pronounced bradys) but it was closed for the school holiday week.


Another fish and chip lunch or dinner but I don't remember where.


One night we went to Stirling for dinner to Birds & Bees.





We happened upon this pub for lunch one day.


Order at the counter.



We shared chicken caesar salad and chicken pot pie.





Our favorite butcher in Dunblane for meat pies.




Here's the other butcher in town.  It wasn't until I was back home and looking at this photo closely that I realized they didn't make the same pies so we never tasted the Scotch pie, pork pie or cornish pasty.


If you are in Dunblane, check out The Riverside.  We ate there twice and it was delicious.  Reservations encouraged because it is a popular spot.  Sorry no photos.



10 comments:

Kay said...

OH MY GOSH! You are so lucky! This looks like such fun and you really ate well, that's for sure.

Gosia said...

Yummy food in a great country

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

WOW Wonderful photographs of all the food you eat. it all looks so yummy.

Tom said...

...I've been wondering when you would bring the food out!

Anonymous said...

You have lot of food for choice. All looks yummy!

Fun60 said...

You did eat well. Some delicious looking food.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Wow--what good food you had in Scotland.... Similar to us here --although I think they probably put more emphasis on quality and not quantity.... Everything looked great... I couldn't pick a favorite... I just love homemade pastries/pies, etc.... YUM.

Hugs,
Betsy

Cynthia said...

It looks like you ate very well in Scotland. I like the cloth tablecloth in your first photo. I have a similar one from the 1950s.

Cranberry Morning said...

The food looks great - and like fun places to eat! Their soups are wonderful over there. I don't think they use MSG in their food like we do here, and I think the wheat they use is not the hard red wheat here (far more gluten in our wheat), so that the bread there doesn't bother me like it does here. By there, I mean Great Britain in general, probably.

Unknown said...

Your blog is very impressive….bloom tattoos