Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Scotland - "Bagging a Munro"

At our orientation to Scotland we learned that climbing the named mountains was quite a sport.  In a pub you could brag that "you bagged a munro" - climbed a mountain.

Dan was keen to do this so did some searching for one easily accessible from our base in Dunblane and a fairly reasonable height.

We put the postal code in the satnav one morning, early, and set off to bag a munro, with the mountain being Schiehallion.

Here was the turn off to the parking lot so the satnav came through.  We arrived early enough to find a parking place.  We had the correct change for the parking sticker and helped out another pair of hikers who did not.  When we returned from our hike we donated our parking sticker to someone who had no change for the parking.




It was a cold day with a mix of sun and clouds and wind.  We were dressed in layers including gloves.  The trees gave way fast to open ground.






I had on my warmest jacket and down vest.  I took off the coat pretty soon as the path started to climb.



The heather was beautiful.


We couldn't see the summit from the trail but not because of the clouds.





We came upon ruins along the trail.




At the early hour there were few hikers on the trail.




Looking back to where we came from.


I made it about a third of the way up before stopping for good, sending Dan ahead.



I had a nice outcropping of rock to sit on and admire the scenery and changing sky.





I found the lichen fascinating.




More and more hikers passed by as I sat there to eat an early lunch.




Dan climbed about 2/3 of the way up before joining me then for lunch and then the walk back to the car.  We timed it right because a light mist started falling.

On the road out we met these sheep.




The hike did not take the whole day so we traveled on to see another spot on our list.

6 comments:

Tom said...

...it's easy to see why things are built with stone and not wood!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I read that there are more sheep in Scotland than there are people.....

Looks like a fun hike up that mountain.... It did look cold though.... What season were they in when you were there????? What was the elevation?

Glad you "Bagged a Munro" or do you have to make it all of the way up in order to say that????

Hugs,
Betsy

Fun60 said...

Congratulations for making it as far as you did. Maybe next time you are in Scotland the weather will be a little kinder and you can make it to the top. Beautiful scenery.

doodles n daydreams said...

Sounds like my sort of day :)

Diana

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

Well done, you!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Well, I hope you celebrated your Munro with a wee dram of fine Scotch whiskey!