Welcome reader to my blog - a mixture of this and that. Now that we are living in a retirement community in downtown Columbia, MD my personal gardening activities are somewhat curtailed. I still enjoy visiting gardens, reading, watching wildlife on my walks, traveling, and occasional food commentary. Please leave a comment if you feel inspired to do so. I read every one of them.

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Random Assortment

I have had these photos saved for what I don't know.  With nothing else to share at present thought I'd show you these.

I think they qualify as Treasures.

From Cornish Flat, NH I share these two millstones.  One has been repurposed into a monument of sorts.


The other just  graces the ground.


In Harpers Ferry, WV, first a sun umbrella over a burial plot.


I had to ask why it was there and the answer was for the renovators working on the gravestones.

On the Maryland mountain side across the river was this ghost sign.  Only the borders remain to say there once was a sign there.



Also in Harpers Ferry, where the Potomac River on the left met the Shenandoah River on the right - can you see the line?


In Frederick, MD I share these signs.  The first was embedded in the pavement advertising a watchmaker or jeweler, I think,


And on the side of the building was another ghost sign.



9 comments:

Christine said...

These are all fascinating & I think the Coca Cola ghost sign is my favourite
Thanks for mentioning the Landis name & I believe it was Tom who informed me of it
Mennonite connection in his area. The Landis Valley museum is in Lancaster County PA.
Also I loved seeing your photos of Harpers Ferry as I posted about our trip there just last week! I read that the ghost sign on the Maryland heights was for Mennen talcum powder but it is almost gone.

Tom said...

...hi Marcia, Christine beat me about the Landis name, there are several by that name in a local Mennonite community. The Coke sign is a beauty, too bad that the gable end on the Capa Home Decor building blocks part of it. I often wish that I traveled with a long ladder so that I could get a better view of things. Your 'Random Assortment' is filled with treasures, what I would call a Mish-Mash! Please stop back again.

Small City Scenes said...

Wow Marcia those are interesting signs and interesting sights too.
Thanks for commenting on my blog. The marshmallow thingies are wrapped hay or hay silage call haylage.
MB

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Love the ghost signs - I always look for them when I'm out and about. Great treasures you have found.

Lady Fi said...

You found some lovely treasures.

krishna said...

Coca Cola sign is marvelous!!

Please visit: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com

Fun60 said...

I do like the ghost signs but my favourite is the jeweller's pavement sign.

Blogoratti said...

Really nice treasures indeed and lovely to look at. Greetings to you.

bettyl-NZ said...

What a great assortment of lovely old treasures. The grindstones reminded me of 'Grindstone City' in MI that had stone dropped here and there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...