Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Torpedo Factory

Friday, July 14th Dan and I took a break from the regular day routines to be tourists in Alexandria, Va.

Here is one of the spots we stopped by to see.

Torpedo Factory.

Here's how it looked when torpedoes were assembled here.



It's right on the Potomac River.



It closed for a time then with the conflict in Europe and Japan on the move, it reopened in 1940.


In 1974 it became a place for artists of all mediums to rent studios.


We ate lunch here on the first floor of the building.


Inside was an exhibit on torpedoes.



Upstairs on the top floor is this museum.


Ever time there is new construction in Alexandria the archaeologists come first to find the evidence from the past.


You can try to put together plate fragments.







 The rest of the space on each of the three floors is divided into studios.




Looking down from the second floor to the first.



We didn't make any purchases but there were lots of paintings, sculpture and jewelry for sale throughout.


4 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

That looks like a really interesting place to visit!

Gosia said...

another interesting place

Tom said...

...a torpedo factory, now that's someplace that I;ve never been to.

Linda said...

That brings back memories. When I lived in Alexandria, I volunteered for Alexandria Archaeology. Spent many hours in the Torpedo Factory.