Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

What I'm Reading Now

Sometime this past year we saw a production of Nicholas Nickelby at Everyman Theatre.  In the program they had a listing of all the books written by Charles Dickens.  It got me thinking I'd like to read all those books in order written.

This past week I started Pickwick Papers.  It's rather funny in places, intentionally.  It's also a picture back in time more so than a historical novel would be.  Dickens is writing and lampooning characters in his time period.

I got the book from the Vantage House library.  I've checked out two more since our library here will be closing for renovations.  I'll need to find Oliver Twist though.  It's number 2 on the list but it wasn't on the shelf.  The public library should have it.

Have you read any Charles Dickens books lately?

2 comments:

Stewart M said...

In a word - no! I tried once, but I just can't keep going. My lose I think!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Cynthia said...

Nope, not lately. Not since I retired from teaching British Lit anyway!