Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Friday, May 19, 2017

Fredericksburg Auction Block

Our map of the historic district of Fredericksburg, VA showed a spot where the slave auction block still stood.  We arrived there and looked around, then looked down on this.


It wasn't what I expected - nothing like what I saw in the movie "12 Years a Slave".

Did enslaved men, women and children have to stand on this small block?


I went searching the internet and came across this blog that had several posts about the auction block.  The author did find contemporary texts stating that the block was used to elevate slaves being sold. Read his entry that I linked to above if you want to learn more about this block.

4 comments:

Tom said...

,,,a sad bit of history.

Fun60 said...

A small item that says so much.

Kay said...

Totally boggles your mind how people could think it was their God-given right to own another person.

Linda said...

There is one in Luray, Virginia also.