Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Pysanka Eggs

I said on an earlier post that I had put my collection of Pysanka eggs out on the display shelf outside our front door.

This week I made three more.  As I was dying the first ones I realized I didn't have the pump thingy that blew out the inside of the eggs.  I looked all over but didn't find it.  I may have given it to one daughter and asked her but she had no recollection of it.  First casualty of our move I guess.

I called the company where I purchased my supplies and the egg pump and they said they are no longer being made.  The only thing they had was a device to blow out the eggs with your own breath, so I ordered that and got it in the mail on Friday.



Today I blew out the three eggs I had decorated and now they are doing a final drain and dying out.


I'll add them to the rest next week.

If you're not familiar with how these eggs are decorated, here's a brief overview.


The egg above was first put into yellow so the entire egg is yellow to begin with.


Then I used a stylus of sorts to paint hot melted wax  where ever I wanted yellow to be.  In this egg it was the lattice work.  Then the egg went into green.  I then painted leaves on with the wax and dyed the egg red.  I painted flowers and finally dyed the egg blue.  The wax is removed by slowly melting it in a candle flame and wiping the wax off.  It's the most tedious part of this craft.


I have 12 different colors.  When you dye you start with the lightest color and work to darkest.  With the egg below I started with the white egg and painted on the ducks. Then put the egg in orange and painted the beaks and the cattail tops.  Then dyed green and painted the leaves.  Then dyed it blue and painted the water and ended by dying it brick colored. I should have painted clouds at the beginning but forgot to.



 This egg only was dyed twice: pink then blue.



 I wrote about Pysanka eggs here, too.

I have 9 more jumbo eggs in the refrigerator and have the supplies still out so there may be some more decorating in the weeks ahead of us.

13 comments:

Elaine said...

How beautiful!
It's craft that calls for a steady hand and plenty of patience, I should think - but what a result for the effort. Really lovely.
(I must get back into crafting.)

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Beautiful...

Much work, and well worth it.

Simply beautiful...

Luna Crone

Gosia said...

I like your eggs and they are so similar to Polish ones

1st Man said...

Those as SO amazingly beautiful. I would like to try but alas, I think you have to have an artistic talent to begin with, ha. You obviously do. Just lovely, thanks for sharing!!!

Kay said...

Oh wow! I'm so impressed. These are so gorgeous!

Cynthia said...

That looks like fun! I miss having little ones around to dye eggs with. When I lived nearby, my grandsons always made me a special egg with Nana on it and that was the one I must eat on Easter morning.

Tom said...

...a sure sign of spring.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

They are all fabulous Marcia

NatureFootstep said...

love your eggs. Much work to create them. :)

doodles n daydreams said...

What fun. And ending with a beautiful egg at the end.

Diana

Klara S said...

OMG! You've already started to paint eggs! These are beautiful. I always try it myself, but I don't have enough patience :( Keep painting and posting, please.

Andrea said...

Oh great they are so beautiful, i first thought they are rocks. Are they so fragile? If i will use rocks will the process still be the same. I've just been to a place where the long beach is full of smooth shiny rocks, they will come handy for that kind of art, although a bit heavy. Thank you.

Marcia said...

Andrea - don't think you can use rocks as they wouldn't take the dye. Decorate rocks with sharpie markers or paint instead.