Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Thursday, March 2, 2017

Fort Morgan, Alabama

At the western tip of a barrier island in the Gulf of Mexico is Fort Morgan.
Now a state park, it has played a part in the history of the US beginning with the War of 1812.


It's a masonry star fort on Mobile Bay.





During the Civil War the fort was captured when Alabama seceded from the Union.


With the North winning the Battle of Mobile Bay the Fort was then occupied by the Union again.






It saw limited use during World War I and then again in World War II.





Read more about Fort Morgan here.


3 comments:

Tom said...

...building walls, it's not a new thing.

doodles n daydreams said...

A very rich military history in this structure. I always imagine forts looking like the wooden structures in cowboy movies and I know this isn't always so :)

Diana

Gosia said...

wow great photos. Love from Poland