Welcome reader to my blog - a mixture of this and that. Now that we are living in a retirement community in downtown Columbia, MD my personal gardening activities are somewhat curtailed. I still enjoy visiting gardens, reading, watching wildlife on my walks, traveling, and occasional food commentary. Please leave a comment if you feel inspired to do so. I read every one of them.

Monday, November 21, 2016

Tuesday Treasure #27 - Cornish Historical Society

I have returned home from my sojourn in Cornish Flat, NH helping out my daughter and her family for the last three weeks.  My husband joined me there on Thursday last and we drove home in two stages Saturday night and Sunday morning arriving shortly after 2 o'clock.

Saturday morning we were fortunate to be in Cornish in time to visit the Cornish Historical Society that is open very irregular hours.  In the years Emily has lived there this was her first visit to it.

Joining Tuesday Treasures because the small building was filled with them.


The story we were told was that the safe that kept all the township records was quite heavy and the three elected selectman for the township got tired of toting it from place to place, so this brick building was built to hold the safe.  Later the addition you see in the back was put on to serve as the township jail.


The building now houses quite a mix of things, from books about Cornish to books written by Cornish authors (J.D. Salinger of Catcher in the Rye was one of them) to all sorts of historical mementoes donated by residents.  This is one such donation.
D.H. Hilliard was a gunsmith in the 1900s.


One of the prize possessions at the Historical Society is this musket fired in the battle at Concord, MA as the beginning of the Revolutionary War.

Dan is holding it and he is 6'3" so you can see how tall it is.  He said it was quite heavy too.



Here's the Historical Society member putting it away.  He didn't show us the other rifles in that closet.





Here's the uniform of a Civil War officer, last name Chase.


I think he was a relative of the gentlemen below.



Lots of medals.


A Civil War canteen or so the card says.


An unknown soldier of the Civil War.


The Historical Society has their stuff stashed in various places in the township.  When I asked about old photos that may show my daughter's house long ago he said there was an exhibit in the township offices.  Of course those offices were not open that day.  Save that for another trip to Cornish, NH.




10 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

Historical societies are so interesting, but I think it's true of a lot of us that we tend not to take time to see the ones in our own back yard.

Margaret Adamson said...

Very interesting post and well illustrated with your photographs

Tom said...

The North East is filled with historic treasures. I'm glad that you were able to see these and share them this week. Happy Thanksgiving and I hope that you will stop back again.

Karen @ away for the weekend said...

This looks like an interesting place! I've never heard of Cornish NH - I'm going to need to check this out!

Tanya Breese said...

what a great litttle museum...sad isn't it about the unknown soldiers :(

Cynthia said...

I love small museums with their eclectic holdings. You never know what you will find!

Fun60 said...

It is fun getting to know about a new town. You will be an expert in no time.

Gosia k said...

interesting place to visit

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Wonderful post - I love old buildings and artifacts. Looks like a nice place to visit.

Marie C said...

What a wonderful historical society and museum! Oh, I LOVED seeing the musket...very cool. All the items were so fascinating. I love the Rev. War period so much and our struggle for Independence!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...