Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Thursday, October 6, 2016

Smithsonian American Art Museum

Have I told you lately how much I love living at Vantage House?  One reason is the excursions.  I love going places but now Vantage House makes it so easy.  No more logistics to work out like how to get there or where do I park?  No more stress of driving in traffic!

Vantage House has three buses.  Wednesday this one took 12 of us plus Daniel, our excursion coordinator to the Smithsonian American Art Museum in Washington, DC.  We left at 10:15 and returned by 2:45.




The museum is actually two.  The Portrait Gallery is there as well.  It's located at 8th and F Streets NW, though we accessed the building on G Street.

Standing on the steps awaiting the docent I had these views of Washington.



Inside halls going to the left and right with exhibits.


Out the other side is this lovely courtyard.



It has this amazing ceiling.



And this water walkway.


Upstairs on the other side is The Great Hall.







Don't you love the floor?



The building was begun in 1836 and completed in 1868.  It became a museum in 1968.  I'll share what our wonderful docent took us to see in another post.

3 comments:

Tom said...

A place that I would love.

Gosia said...

fantastic place so similar to British museums

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

sounds like that move is the wisert thing you did adn this museum is stunning.