Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Saturday, August 6, 2016

European Vacation -Part XIV

I think I took too many photos on our European vacation.  I know poor readers you are tired of seeing them by now.  I'll try to collapse the remaining towns we visited into two or three more posts.

Durnstein, Austria
This small picturesque medieval town was over run with riverboat tourists the day we were there.  Luckily we had opted for the hike to the Durnstein Fortress (Kuenringer Castle ruins) above the town.






The town is situated in the Wachau Valley known for its vineyards,



The ruins above the town once housed Richard the Lionheart, King of England.  He was captured returning from the Third Crusade in 1192 and held for ransom.  The ransom paid helped fund some of the spectacular buildings in Vienna and Budapest (if I remember correctly).









Traveling again on the Danube we came to Linz.  I'll save photos from there for another time.  From Linz we took a bus trip to Cesky Krumlov in the Czech Republic.


This town boasts Bohemia's second largest castle.  The old part of town retains its historic charm.








Our first stop in Germany was Passau.








We loved the color of the buildings here,






and the narrow streets.


This plaque let us know how old this town was.


This one spoke to the dangers of living on a river with the flood heights marked on this wall.


The riverboat part of our trip ended in Vilshofen, Germany where we took the train to Munich and then to Kaufering where we had rented a cottage on Air BnB for three nights.  


9 comments:

Tom said...

Europe sure is the place to see churches. Marcia, I'm amazed that you can keep all of this straight.

Gosia said...

it is a great place but I agree with Tom a lot of churches there is in Europe

Prunella Pepperpot said...

So many stunning images. What a wonderful vacation you have shared. Enjoy your sunday.

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful area of our world. Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos from your trip!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

This is certainly a wonderful trip and great to see all the places you see on your travels. yes always a lot of churches in europe but I alaways love the narrow streets and the wonderful flowers in balconies.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Some stunning view there and the building look beautiful with all the colours they have been painted

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I am definitely not tired of your photos. You are sharing with us places that many of us will never get to see in person....

I enjoyed reading about Richard the Lionheart and the Castle/Fortress at Durnstein. What an awesome view of the Danube....

Bet you got some good WINE while there.

Hugs,
Betsy

DeniseinVA said...

Hi Marcia, I don't think I could ever get tired of looking at your European photos. They are gorgeous! It's been a while since I popped in but am so glad I did today. I am going to have fun catching up on your travels. Have a great day :)

doodles n daydreams said...

I love the antiquity of Europe, I live in such a young country, even the Maori have only been here about 500 years. And Europeans about 200.

Diana