Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Tuesday Treasure #20 - The Bench

Move day was yesterday.  Today I'm back at the house cleaning for the new owners in preparation for their walkthrough before settlement.  Here's a look back at an old post with special memories.
**************************
This post first appeared in December 2008.  My Mom was still alive and a widow for just one year.  The post was written just before her 90th birthday.  She lived until almost her 95th birthday.


The Bench
(December 5, 2008)

Almost two years ago Dan and I took a woodworking course. It was a lot of fun and I made some nice things. Afterward I helped Dan make tables for our shop. I also promised Emily a deacon's bench for her house. That was the summer of 2007. She found plans for me, I purchased them, and then filed them away.

Last summer Dan encouraged me to take the plans out and order the wood. We bought some very nice oak instead of the pine it called for. In reading through the plans we both realized I had not done enough woodworking to tackle the project on my own so I gratefully became the assistant to him.

We presented the bench to Emily and Matt at Thanksgiving and they took it home in their car.


It is a very special present because it was made by us and it was hand-painted by my mom, Emily's grandmother, who will be 90 years old on Sunday.


Before we did the final finishing of the bench, we repaired, sanded and refinished an oak antique table I had purchased for use on the porch. We realized it had been made by someone from pieces of wood they had around and we wondered about its history. So no one would wonder about the history of the bench 50, 75, or 100+ years from now we burned on the bottom who it was made for, when, and by whom plus we added who did the painting. (Sorry we didn't take a picture of that part.) We know it will be an antique for someone, hopefully a descendant of this family, one day.


*****************
2016 Footnote:  The bench still resides at Emily and Matt's home in New Hampshire.  I have a lovely photo of my granddaughter sitting on it.
The referenced antique oak table has gone to ReStore for someone else to use.

5 comments:

rob said...

Marcia the bench is beautiful.

Dawn Y. said...

What a beautiful family treasure you created, Marcia and Dan! It's so lovely that you have a photo of your mom at work painting the design. I'm so glad that you took the time to burn in the details on the bottom of your wonderful bench. I'm sure Emily and Matt enjoy it every day! ♥

Congratulations on your BIG move!! You really accomplished amazing things in such a short time. Thank you for taking us along on your journey into this exciting, new chapter in life! Soon you will be able to rest and relax a bit. Can't wait to see what's next!!
Happy Independence Day! ♡Dawn@Petals.Paper.SimpleThymes

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Marcia, I have really enjoyed reading your memories in that gorgeous home... You should put all of your thoughts/photos into a little book that you can pass down to family in the future. You all really did have a gorgeous home...

Congrats though on your new home/life --without so many yard hassles, etc.... I admire you for making such a bold move. I'm not sure I could do what you did. I know that someday we will have to give up the yardwork --but not sure I could EVER move to a high-rise... I don't even like going to a big high-rise resort unit when we travel... Guess I'm more of a 'stay near the ground' person.. ha

BUT---I hope and pray that you all will love your new home and new life...I'll be anxious to hear your thoughts through the next year or so.

Much Love,
Betsy

Ida said...

That's a really nice looking bench and how special that you mom had a hand in creating it as well. Something to be treasured by many generations to come.

Tom said...

Marcia, what a fabulous multigenerational family treasure! This is such s special piece. I hope that you settle in well and I look forward to seeing you soon.