Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Yikes!!

 I said that this morning when I spotted the mousetrap.  We have traps in the garage but mostly catch mice with the season changes.  Never expected to catch this snake.  



Don't know what it was.  Thankfully it was good and dead.  Dan checked with a broom handle first.



I'm the one to empty the mousetraps but couldn't do it when it was a snake trap.  Dan did the tossing. Carcass will likely be gone by tomorrow with the scavengers we have around here.

Anyone recognize this one?

I know it was not a Ribbon Snake seen here.

Here's a link to Maryland snakes.  Maybe its Mole Kingsnake?

6 comments:

Jenny Rottinger said...

It looks like a eastern rat snake. too bad it's dead, it would have helped with rodent control.

Fun60 said...

Who needs traps when you have snakes.

1st Man said...

Yep, looks like what we call down here a "rat snake". Not 100% sure but maybe 80$% sure, ha. That would give me the heebie jeebies!

Tom said...

Such fun! Tom The Backroads Traveller

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Yipes.... I'm not a snake fan/person either. I couldn't have emptied that trap... I've only seen a FEW snakes around here --and none very large. Who knows though what lives in our garage????? ha
Hugs,
Betsy

amanda said...

My husband always says snakes are good to have around to keep the rodents down, but I just abhor them!
We set mouse traps around our garage inside and out, to catch them seasonally too. This would be quite a sight to find!