Welcome reader to my blog - a mixture of this and that. Now that we are living in a retirement community in downtown Columbia, MD my personal gardening activities are somewhat curtailed. I still enjoy visiting gardens, reading, watching wildlife on my walks, traveling, and occasional food commentary. Please leave a comment if you feel inspired to do so. I read every one of them.

Saturday, July 4, 2015

Still Looks Like a Church


This is the Town Hall in Cornish Flat, NH.  It was once a church moved here from another location.  Now its front lawn is used for a Saturday farmers market, and the clock keeps time for the town.



I imagine there are occasional meetings here but the building is in sad shape.


My son-in-law winds the clock every other week.


It's quite a climb to the top.
















You can see the old construction methods in the beams.



















My original post about this structure can be found here.

11 comments:

Jim said...

Great steeple

Tom said...

Thanks for the great tour of this church. I also have found several churches that have been moved, What a job! Tom The Backroads Traveller

Gosia k said...

definitely nteresting church and so different from Europe

doodles n daydreams said...

A fascinating look at the church/town hall. It looks like it might have been a catholic church from the inscription on the bell.

Diana
http://adifferentlenslens365.blogspot.co.nz/2015/07/a-church-for-plain.html

Gerald (SK14) said...

great to see the mechanism and know it is being maintained - as for your comment on my Welsh Church - short answer is not sure.

Ann Bennett said...

Great selection of pictures. I hope it gets restored and it is wonderful that your son in law maintains the clock. History is a precious thing for the next generation.

"...E...", from VA, Beth said...

love the clock. what character!! ( :

Ruth Kelly said...

Grand old church.

Latane Barton said...

How nice that some part of the old church/town hall is ticking along, thanks to your son-in-law. That's quite a climb. One I would be anxious to take.

Dawn Y. said...

Such a lovely, old church building enjoying a brand new life! It's wonderful that your son-in-law is keeping tradition alive by ringing the bell. It was fascinating to tour the inside, Marcia! I hope the people of Cornish Flat will preserve this beautiful piece of our country's history for generations to come! ♡Dawn@Petals.Paper.SimpleThymes

Bill Nicholls said...

Pleasant little church, shame its gotten like that though I have seen worse in the UK

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...