Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Saturday, July 18, 2015

1806 Log Church


Located in PA west of Bedford not far from the turnpike.


We stopped here on our way to Pittsburgh in 2013.


The logs of the church were huge.



The graveyard was interesting.





The gravestones carved from locally quarried sandstone have weathered remarkably well.


This is a repeat post.  Original one was here.
Linking with Inspired Sunday.

12 comments:

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

that is a lovely wooden church and I love the carved head stones.

Fun60 said...

I supposed they just made use of local materials. Those gravestones look in pristine condition. No pollution there to dissolve the sandstone(.PS I love walking around London early in the morning on a Saturday or Sunday as it is so much quieter.)

Elizabeth Edwards said...

it has more room than i would have thought - when you see it from the outside it looks so tiny. such amazing history. great find. ( :

Bruce Clark said...

That is a very unique church. I love the texture of the wood siding in one of your shots. I also agree with Beth on how much room is on the inside.

doodles n daydreams said...

Yes it is quite deceiving from the outside. A very unique church.

Diana

Latane Barton said...

oh, how sad, the tomb of that little bitty baby. Very interesting church. It's been there a long, long time, looks like it may be leaning a bit and I guess after all this time, it has that right.

Gerald (SK14) said...

what a fascinating place

Tom said...

Interesting that it's so tall. Great to see old stones that you can read. Tom The Backroads Traveller

debsgarden said...

I am surprised at how well the gravestones have weathered. I love to visit old cemeteries. There are so many stories there. The church is wonderful. Imagine the work that went into building it using those huge logs!

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Amazing, what a beautiful old church & churchyard

betty-NZ said...

How remarkable is this place with everything still so usable and the gravestones still readable. Thanks for sharing this place.

Gosia said...

What a wonderful log church and completely different from Europe graveyard