Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Friday, January 17, 2014

Totally Random

It's Friday!  And we're halfway through January!

1.  I'm excited for this morning because a landscape designer is coming to help me with my front bed.  I received a 1/6 portion of Mom's life insurance so I'm using it to dedicate this garden to her memory.  I'll keep you posted on what develops there.  I'm not looking for a complete overhaul just a tweaking so to speak.

2. The days are getting noticeably longer and it's getting easier to rise in the morning.

3. I took on a major crochet project.  A friend's mother had made granny squares to assemble into an afghan for her grand daughter.  She finished the squares but couldn't see well enough to put the squares together before she died.  I volunteered awhile ago to do this for them but my friend couldn't find the squares only the box with needles and yarn and one square.  Well, her brother had the bag of squares so now she's passed them on to me.  It's in lovely shades of purple.

4. That same friend and I went to the Maryland Historical Society yesterday.  There were several very interesting exhibits on the Civil War in MD, and the War of 1812 that was fought here in Baltimore in September of 1814 but my favorite was on Elizabeth Patterson Bonaparte.  At 18 she was supposed to be a ravishing beauty and the younger brother of Napolean, Jerome came to Baltimore to see her and fell in love.  They married here, she got pregnant but on returning to France Napolean refused her admittance and refused to recognize her marriage to his brother.  It's quite a story and she had quite a life.  Fascinating.

5.  Finally we had a nice stroll over to the Peabody Hotel for lunch and here are some shots of some interesting things with the beautiful blue sky we had yesterday for awhile.


The Washington Monument



MD Historical Society (original building)



7 comments:

Nancy said...

The garden project sounds like it will be a lovely tribute to your mom come springtime. What a nice way to pay homage to her. xo

Elizabeth Edwards said...

i hope you will show your garden after the project has begun & all finished. i bet it will just be lovely. i look forward to spring myself. ( :

Tanya Breese said...

i love the idea of the garden for your mom :) wonderful photos and i have noticed longer days too!! yay!!

Barb said...

Great architectural/city shots. I used to live in MD on the Chesapeake Bay. Your new memory garden sounds lovely.

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

I love that the days are getting longer, it makes such a difference in my day. Your garden project sounds lovely.

Stewart M said...

I like the "random" shots of the buildings - interesting details.

Don't wish yourself into spring too quickly - enjoy winter, and let me stay in summer!!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

carol l mckenna said...

Creative shots from what sounds like a very enjoyable venture ~ thanks for your comments ~ carol, xxx (A Creative Harbor)