Welcome reader to my blog - a mixture of this and that. Now that we are living in a retirement community in downtown Columbia, MD my personal gardening activities are somewhat curtailed. I still enjoy visiting gardens, reading, watching wildlife on my walks, traveling, and occasional food commentary. Please leave a comment if you feel inspired to do so. I read every one of them.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Crow Question

I was out early this morning with Dan working to clear the snow off the driveway and spotted the crows.  They fly singly or in small groups, but all are headed west in a fairly straight line.  This isn't the first time I've seen them do this.  It happens most mornings that I look out between 7 and 8 am.

Where are they going?

Where have they been overnight?

I even went on Google maps to see what is to the east of us and I thought maybe it's the Patapsco River but I'm not so sure that's in quite the straight line east.  West of us?  I don't know.

Can anyone answer my crow question?

Here's the only one I captured on a photo this morning.


12 comments:

2 Tramps said...

We have some crows that do the same thing here but not in the winter. The crows here fly over in the morning and then back over again before dark. I think they shelter up on the buttes behind us where there is more cover and head out to scavenge elsewhere during the day.

Marcia said...

I looked for them this evening to fly back east but no sign of them. Maybe they take a circular route. They do only occasionally stop over here but not for long.

Thanks for your insight.

Dave Lewis said...

I see quite a few near my work every day. They roost close by in sheltered trees, then travel out just after sunrise to some distant fields to feed. Maybe yours are doing the same.

Carole M. said...

interesting to observe the habits of the birds; hope you get the answer to your question

Icy BC said...

I ponder on those questions at times..We have so many starlings around my part of the world at this time..

Wally Jones said...

Your Crows are simply commuting! They have some sheltered area where they spend the night and each morning head out to "work" to locate a field full of grain and bugs. They're among the smartest of the birds and great fun to try and keep up with.

Marcia said...

Commuting! I like that idea. yes, I've read about how smart they are to the point of recognizing faces.

Marcia said...

Sounds plausible. I'm just curious where near me they're roosting.

Stewart M said...

Wally has said what I was going to say! Although commuting is a better phrase than I would have used!

Although it's a book about the UK I would recommend "Crow Country" by Mark Cocker as an excellent read about the life of crows and much more as well!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Marcia said...

Stewart - I was hoping I'd hear from you. Thanks for confirming what the crows are up to and for the book recommend too. I just wish I knew where they roosted. That must be a sight to see.

Marcia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marcia said...

http://www.slate.com/blogs/wild_things/2014/01/23/where_do_birds_sleep_roosting_in_nests_water_flocks_cavities.html
Look at this article for answer to my question. Thanks goes to my husband!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...