Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

A Walk Around the House


Come take a walk with me out my front door, glancing at the ferns that are wintering in the vestibule.


The front garden needs work next spring.  Lavender bushes are getting old and need replacing, a good mulch must be laid to keep down the invasive weeds.  Hydrangeas still holding on to some color on this fall day.



Stopping by the vegetable garden on the east side of the house.  I may get some more snow peas yet but I know we'll enjoy the greens, tatsoi and bok choy that are still growing.


We have a buried pipeline easement that runs along the northern edge of the property.  A tree company has been taking down trees that have encroached upon it.  I may use some of that wood for a sculpture. Other will be used for the fire pit.



Continuing to the south side passed the pond.

The miscanthus has been lassoed to keep it more upright so I can see to drive in the garage.



This volunteer cedar will have to be moved next spring.  Where to?


Hens and chicks doing well.


These pots were too heavy to move.  The plants won't survive a hard frost.


Hosta are long gone.



Porch furniture and decorations put away.




Perennial garden trimmed and ready for winter.



Still some color in the woods.

Coming around to the west side of the house, the garden shed and then the shop come into view.


Along the shop the hazelnuts are flanked by butterfly bushes.  No nuts this year.


Almost back to our starting point.




Back to the front door.


I've made lots of mental notes on what needs doing come spring 2014.  Something to look forward to as this year comes to an end.





3 comments:

Cynthia said...

It looks as if your yard and garden are all tucked in for the winter ahead. Beautiful home in the woods!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Amazing the difference in areas. Your trees have lost many more leaves than ours. We seem to be having a LATE Fall. I wasn't sure we'd get much color this year--until this week. Now --it is very pretty. BUT--we had a huge front with lots of wind come through yesterday which took down many, many leaves. Now the fun begins---with the raking and blowing!!!!! ha

Some of our Hostas are still alive--but the cold spell last week nipped some of them…

Glad your Semps are doing well.
Hugs,
Betsy

Gammyshouse said...

Marcia, what a beautiful woodsy location and home. Having been raised around the New England Area (a military brat) and now in N. Texas since the early 80's I miss all the beautiful Autumn color that you guys have. Mesquite isn't very pretty in the fall. :)

Gad I had time this evening to catch up on my fav blog reading.