Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Thursday, October 24, 2013

A New Regular Visitor

I saw evidence of it before I saw the bird.  Lately, it's gotten bold and is coming closer to the house.  Sorry for the graininess of these shots.  I had to take these through my window with the screens still on.  If I'd ventured outside it would have flown.  It's a beautiful Northern Flicker.  I hope it sticks around because it ridding the lawn and garden of grubs.









9 comments:

Dave said...

its a lovely bird, so lets hope you get to it on a regular basis, even better if its mate shows too

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

HI Marcia Well that was a lovely surprisse for you. perhaps it wil get even closer for better shots.

Marcia said...

I would have been plenty close enough and have gotten better shots if the screen wasn't on the window. Thanks for stopping by.

2 Tramps said...

We have a Flicker that comes here to winter with us. He tried to chisel his way through a gable vent. After doing some research, we put up a bird house filled with wood chips and he was able to do a bit of work on it instead of our shop. He customized the entry to his size and tossed out some of the shavings. The bird house is high up tucked under a very tall second floor deck. Guess it is time for us to put out suet for him (or her!). A cold snap is coming next week.

Latane Barton said...

Pretty bird, and useful, too.

Patricia said...

I love surprises like that...makes you actually catch your breath!

Patricia said...

I love surprises like that...makes you catch your breath!

HolleyGarden said...

The next to last photo looks like he sees you! :) Look at those dots on his chest! I don't think I've ever seen one so close!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi There, I love seeing the Northern Flickers... Such gorgeous woodpeckers. They will come to our suet feeders--so if you have one out, watch for the Flicker to visit there!!!

Hope you had a good week. We have been in Kentucky with friends... Had a fantastic time although it was COLD there.

Hugs,
Betsy