Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Spring 2013 Here!

Pansies on the porch!


Hostas shooting up all over.  They will need another dose of liquid fence and a general clean up of last year's dead leaves.


First spring for the Japanese maple.  It came through the winter fine.


You know its spring when the bleeding heart blooms.  I have three and some tiny volunteers.


New green iris shoots around the pond and cattail spears in the pond.  Won't be long before the tadpoles appear.  Goldfish young ones are there.


The mulch delivered on Thursday.  Gardening work has been on hold for the last week as I have helped my Mom in the hospital.  She's out now but in new digs - assisted living.  Her cottage will have to be emptied over the next month, so this pile may not diminish very fast.


Dan at work in 40º+ weather on his landscape painting homework.


Inside all the seeds I planted have germinated surprisingly considering how old some of the tomato seeds are.  Those empty pots are for transplants.  I had to figure how many would fit under my lights.  It's a long time between this and planting in the garden especially since we are having such a late spring.


9 comments:

Jenny Rottinger said...

Such lovely pictures! Spring is one of the happiest times of the year when everything is renewing and blooming.

HolleyGarden said...

Everything looks so green! Wahoo! I loved seeing all your spring shots. Sorry to hear about your mother. I hope she adjusts well to her new living situation, and that cleaning out her home will go smoothly and quickly.

Pearl said...

to my relief our bleeding hearts are coming up again. at the end of season last year I was sure they were dead-dead. but spring has a special touch. Ours are still only red shoots yet. Are hostas easy to grow?

Marcia said...

Bleeding hearts due die back come mid summer. That's their nature. Hostas are easy but deer love them so I have to treat them with liquid fence monthly.

Marcia said...

And it's finally showing itself!

Marcia said...

Lots to do with Mom so not much gardening going on here.

betty-NZ said...

Yep, it definitely looks like spring has sprung in your neck of the woods. Love the photos and Dan's dedication is impressive!

marzeniamiyzje said...

Lovely nature!!!

1st Man said...

Your property is so pretty. I'm jealous of the trees and shade. You've done a beautiful job. What is liquid fence? Does that keep a plant in a certain area or keep animals out? I'm curious and wondering how it works.