Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Monday, April 23, 2012

Harvest Monday - First Real Greens!

I know these two photos look almost exactly alike but they were taken on two different evening this past week when I harvested enough new salad greens (mesclun, speckled romaine and spinach) from the garden for salads enough for three.  Nothing beats the taste of newly picked lettuce in a salad.  Saturday's salad was the main course and featured marinated and sauteed steak over top the greens with lots of other toppings and a dressing of choice.  I chose ranch, Dan chose poppy seed and Sarah chose blue cheese.


Lots of other harvests can be viewed if you head over to Daphne's Dandelions.

9 comments:

Robin said...

Congrats on your first real greens harvests! There is nothing better then some nice fresh lettuce for a salad.

I didn't realize Sarah was home.

Amber said...

Well...at least the lettuce and greens will enjoy this cooler weather. And we did need the rain, but geez its chilly!

Jenny Rottinger said...

Isn't it nice to have all those yummy greens for first time :)

Barbie~ said...

WAHOOO! Those first real harvest always feel so fantastic! Here's to many more.

jeanlivingsimple said...

I haven't had much luck growing lettuce. Yours looks great!

Mary Hysong said...

your greens are looking great! I'm working on how to have lettuce longer into the summer, wish me luck!

Jody said...

Great looking harvest! Our lettuce is coming in, but it's slow moving. I think the rain and cooler weather will help a bunch.

wilderness said...

How nice to be starting your harvest. Greens look great.

Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

That's a beautiful harvest of greens. I need some sort of basket, I finally figured out, when I finally harvested enough to not be able to simply hold it in my hand!

http://planetpooks.com/?p=4552