Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Philadelphia Flower Show - Part 2

Part 2 - Purchases
 So one major reason to go to the Flower Show is to see all the new products for the garden and beyond among all the vendors.  Last year I was more circumspect in my purchases.  Maybe it was the economy.  This year I was not so inclined.  Maybe it was the economy, too!

I purchased these two succulents since two were a better price than a single and I didn't want to carry a prickly cactus home.  I plan to try to plant them in some old glassware per the inspiration of the vendor mentioned in Part 1.  I love their stripes.

This broom was demonstrated by the vendor and I was sold.  Another selling point was that profits go back to Sri Lanka where it's made.  It will be great to get the leaves out of the rocky paths I made last year.

 I saw stone and iron birds last year but didn't buy any.  This heron spoke to me and I got it this year to put near the pond.  These are made in Minnesota by Francis Metal Works, LLC from stones that appear in farmland fields.  My friends and I all purchased something from this vendor before lunch and she tagged them for us to pick up at the end of our day.

 Another demonstration sold me on these pot hangers.  They work for all sizes of pots and can be reused year after year.  I plan to use them for the pansies I just hung up on Thursday.  It will give a sleeker look than the plastic hangers on the pots.
 A tropical plant purchase was this plumeria stalk.  Three were cheaper than one so I split it with a friend.  Supposedly easy to grow and then winter it over in a dark spot to grow again another year.  It came with instructions which in reading here at home differed from what the saleswoman described.  Hmm ... wonder which I should follow and if it matters.
 My last purchase will be shipped to me in mid-April because the vendor had sold out of his supply.  He did give me this which I think I'll use on the pruners I currently have.  The pruners and loppers I got have ratchets which makes cutting easier as I learned from trying them on all sizes of sticks he had in his display. 

2 comments:

Debbie said...

You got some great stuff!

wilderness said...

Love your buys. Especially the heron.