Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Philadelphia Flower Show - Part 1

Part 1 - Lack of Much Inspiration
The Philadelphia Flower Show was as marvelous as it could be for being the biggest in the world (I think someone claimed) and judging by the crowds on Friday lots of folks thought so.  The theme was Hawaii so living in a non-tropical climate meant the inspiration pieces were not as numerous for me.  Don't get me wrong, they were stunning and make me reconsider whether or not to visit Hawaii some day.  I did not go away empty-handed or inspiration deprived because there were some lovely ideas for what to do with succulents and cacti.  I just didn't take as many photos of the tropical scenes but here are the few I did snap.

 


 Now here are some combinations that are inspiring.  The chartreuse of the ferns against the reddish purple of the plant whose name I didn't find.
 I thought the plant at the top was a coleus but it was labeled something very unfamiliar but again the color scheme was beautiful.

 Couldn't you picture yourself sitting on that open air deck?
 The window box competition featured cacti and succulents and were stunning.



 So here's a camera question:  I had the setting on foliage for the photo above but then took the same shot with the auto setting.  I think the one below looks more natural.  I loved the combination they had there.
 Another lovely window box below.
 A vendor shared this idea for a price which I figured I could do myself.  Plant a cactus or succulent in an old piece of glassware.  No need for drainage holes on the bottom with the layer of charcoal and small stones.  Besides watering of these plants is minimal anyway.
These are man made rock gardens but an idea in itself.
 Recognized my heuchera in the photo below.  There's hope it will be that size one day.
 This was a take off on a Hawaiian thing that one university did in their display.  Can you identify the layers?

 Another idea from that display on how to fasten poles horizontally.  I have so many downed limbs through my woods that I've often wondered how I could use them.  Rather than nailing them together to make a trellis or arbor I could use twine to bind them if I followed this example.

 There were vegetable garden displays.
But I don't think I'll be making a lettuce wall anytime soon.
 
 Independence Hall on a miniature scale with succulent plantings to absorb runoff.
Wonder what 2011 was like?  Revisit my blog post on it.







1 comment:

wilderness said...

Finally got here. Love the pictures. Love some of the cacti plantings.