Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Friday, February 3, 2012

Mexican Pie

I started out this evening planning to make enchiladas from a recipe I came across on a blog, but then when I thought about the assembly I was reminded of the Mexican pie I used to make.  And though I didn't have the right sized tortillas I went ahead and made the pie instead of the enchiladas.

Here are the ingredients:
1 onion chopped
1 red pepper chopped
1 16 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
salt and pepper
shredded cheese
 salsa ( I used one jar of Emily's salsa)
corn or flour tortillas
1 cooked chicken breast

I sauteed the onions and pepper in olive oil then added them to the beans, corn, chicken and spices.

Into a pie pan I poured some of the salsa.  Since my tortillas were small I layered 3 on top of that.  Then put on half the bean mixture and covered it with cheese.  I put on 3 more tortillas and the rest of the bean mixture and cheese then topped with three more tortillas and the rest of the salsa.  All of that was covered with cheese.

I baked this for 30 minutes in 350ยบ oven but remembered later that it can be cooked in the microwave.

 Before baking.
 After baking.
 Plated.
 You can see the layers.

See what other cooks have made this week at Robin's Garden of Eden.

7 comments:

Norma Chang said...

That pie looks yummy and filling.

Marcia said...

NOrma - it was filling. Dan had two servings and I had 1.5. Now debating whether to freeze the leftovers.

Mary Ann said...

YUM! I'll try that one, thank you!

Robin said...

Boy that looks yummy! Very nice combination of flavors. I will have to tell "The Italian" about this. He loves this type of food!

wilderness said...

Looks good to me but makes way too much. WE would be eating it for a week. Maybe could mix all the filling together and freeze it in smaller portions them make a little casserole for a meal. Just a thought of how I could use it.

Prairie Cat said...

That pie is huge!

Looks delicious though. I may try out your recipe once I restock up on tortillas.

Jody said...

That looks absolutely delicious!