Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Thursday's Kitchen Cupboard

I raided the freezer to make a pasta sauce this week.  I pulled out frozen red peppers, frozen zucchini and a bag of frozen tomatoes.



 First I sauteed an onion in olive oil, then added the frozen vegetables.
 I cooked down the vegetables until they softened.
 I added pepper flakes, salt and pepper and 2 tablespoons of molasses.
 For a change from basil I added fresh oregano.
 Once everything was cooked down I used the stick blender to puree it all.  I left some lumps.
 It was a spicy sauce for angel hair pasta.

See other recipes at Robin's Gardener of Eden.



6 comments:

Robin said...

Sounds great Marcia! With all the different red sauces that "The Italian" makes around here, he has never made one using molasses. We are going to have to try it!

wilderness said...

Looks good. Have never used zucchini or molasses in my red sauce. But then I don't use sugar in any either.

floweringmama said...

I made curly pasta with caramelized onions and tomatoes, fresh elephant garlic and freshly grated parmesan. Nothing like fresh pasta sauce!

Marcia said...

Robin - I never have put molasses in a red sauce either, but I figured it would be a nice change from supar to cut the acidity of the tomatoes.

Wilderness - This was new for me to. Consider it a "necessity is the mother of invention" moment in the kitchen. It tasted very good though maybe a tad spicy - too many red pepper flakes. The extra went into the freezer for another day.

Floweringmama - I didn't include garlic and maybe should have but I was going for a different sort of sauce so that's why the oregano and no basil.

HolleyGarden said...

Looks fabulous! Like others, I had never used molasses. That really caught my eye! You say it was a bit spicy from the red peppers. It will be a great sauce to pull out on a cold winter's day!

jeanlivingsimple said...

Very nice garden. I hope your rosemary survives.
BTW...I checked my blog for the "link" issue. It shows up very well for me...so I am a bit puzzled.
Thanks for the head-ups.