Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Using the Garden Bounty

Here's a post to inaugurate Robin's new weekly THURSDAY KITCHEN CUPBOARD at The Gardener of Eden.

Though I'm not a canner I do like to use my vegetables and freeze that bounty in many different ways.  Here's a wonderful stew that I had in fact last night from my frozen supply.

MEXICAN VEGETABLE STEW
(Originally for "Quick Vegetarian Pleasures" By Jeanne Lemlin [Harper Perennial, 1992] as reprinted in The Baltimore Sun about that same time)
1/4 cup olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 large onions, diced
1 tsp ground cumin
3 cups chopped tomatoes or 28 oz can
8 cups vegetable stock
1/2 tsp salt
freshly ground pepper
2 carrots sliced thinly
3 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into sixths then 1 inch chunks
2 cups freshly cooked kidney beans or 15 oz can, rinsed and drained
2 cups fresh or canned corn
grated cheddar cheese (optional)
corn or tortilla chips (optional)  

1.  In a 6-8 qt pot, heat the oil and saute onions, garlic and cumin stirring often: 10 min.
2. Add tomatoes and their juice, vegetable stock, salt and pepper.  Bring mixture to a boil.
3. Add carrots cook 15 min then zucchini and cook 5 - 10 min then add kidney beans and corn and cook 2 more minutes.
4.  Remove 2 cups and puree, then return to pot.  This thickens the stew. 
5.  Taste to adjust seasonings.
6. Serve with broken chips on top and a sprinkling of cheese.

6 comments:

wilderness said...

That vegetable stew sounds great and I like the idea that you can do it when the garden is in full swing or from your stash in the pantry during the winter.

Robin said...

This stew sounds wonderful! I think that I will make a small batch this weekend since we have a zucchini and the weather is a bit damp and cool. "The Italian" loves anything Mexican! Good stew weather!

Patricia said...

Oh...sounds like comfort food! This looks delicious. About 2 years ago I discovered Rancho Gordo Dried Heirloom beans. Though it takes some planning regarding time to prepare them I find the taste well worth it. I am always on the look out for creative ways to prepare them. I will definitely try this!

Jody said...

My boys would love this.

Marcia said...

All of you that said you'd try it. Let me know how you like it. It is a favorite here that we lost for a couple of years and rediscovered in cleaning out the recipes not too long ago. Has that ever happened to you?

Robin said...

Hi Marcia, I just wanted to let you know that I made this recipe last night. It was great! I added a little of my own blended Taco Seasoning to the stew. It was a definite hit with "The Italian" and me too! We topped it with cheddar cheese and chips.