Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Thursday Kitchen Cupboard

I came across a recipe for curry recently at Rock Recipes and filed it in the recesses of my brain to try some day.  Well, Wednesday was the day, except I didn't follow his recipe I went to this great book

and found a crock pot recipe that required less preparation time.
I had on hand tomato seconds from the farmers market,

 

sweet potatoes,

and these potatoes from the store purchased I don't know how long ago. You see I had to toss some of the potatoes in the compost bucket.


 Here's the recipe:



 I went with the small potatoes and tossed out all the mushy large ones.  Potatoes and cubed sweet potatoes went in crock pot along with 2 carrots chopped.
 Tomatoes chopped and added using fresh instead of canned ones.  I could use frozen ones next time.
 Chicken tenderloins cut up instead of the chicken breasts with the spices including the addition of a teaspoon of curry.
 Stirred it up with a cup of chicken bouillon poured over it.  Now it's ready to slow cook for 6-8 hours.

The house smelled delightful all day.  I added 2 tablespoons of flour to 1/2 cup of milk to thicken the sauce.  Here's the  crock pot with two servings removed.  There is a lot of sauce.

 I served it over rice and had peas on the side.


It is really a stew and it was fine though we both needed to add more salt and ground fresh pepper to flavor it more.  I made notes on my recipe that next time I will use boneless thighs, forget the celery seed, add more curry, salt and pepper and possibly add onions.  I think the long cooking process of the crock pot dilutes the seasoning and possibly a second seasoning needs to happen in the hour before serving.  I'm going to have it again tonight and see how the extra salt, pepper and curry helped it that I added before refrigerating the leftovers.

See what others are cooking or preserving this week at Robin's Thursday Kitchen Cupboard

6 comments:

wilderness said...

Marcia I love curry and don't really have but one recipe that I use it in. I think I too would want more curry in this recipe.

Patricia said...

Interesting recipe. I have also pulled my crock-pot out from the back of the cupboard. We are trying to reduce our calories and I find a crock pot helps that process. Last week I put a whole chicken dusted with a variety of spices in the crockpot on top of a bed of onions. Cooked on high for about 5 hours. It cooked in its own juices and fell off the bone. I saved the liquid that formed, tossed the bones back in after eating and filled the pot with water and let it cook on low overnight and had a fantastic stock to strain the next morning.

Jody said...

How yummy! We enjoy a little crock pot cooking from time to time too.

Dave @ HappyAcres said...

That does sound like a great recipe, if work out the spices. I make a curry with sweet potatoes and yellow lentils that I really like. The sweet and spicy really works together.

HolleyGarden said...

Looks yummy! I bet it's even better the second day. I have some sweet potatoes and some regular potatoes - may have to give this a try. I also love that you fixed it in the crock pot. I need to use mine more often.

Robin said...

We also love curry....sounds wonderful! I never use my crockpot.....but, this recipe gives me a reason to get it out!