Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Leaf Composting


 Do you remember that pallet of stone I got in September?

After I emptied it I thought I'd re-purpose it as a leaf composter.  I rolled it to a spot along the glen that was clear of plantings and started to fill it last weekend with leaves.

Now the only part of my yard that I consider lawn is on the southside of the house between the deck and the glen garden, not more than 20 feet wide.



So the only part I will rake is there.  I did it Sunday and then again today.



 The re-purposed composter is filling up.  I hope it results in some nice leaf compost for the flowers and vegetable beds next spring.

P.S.  I guess you can pick out the photos that were taken this summer,  can't you?

3 comments:

Janey said...

Hi Marcia,

I hope you're having an awesome week! I thought you might like this infographic I helped build about the health, mental, and financial benefits of gardening (http://blog.lochnesswatergardens.com/how-gardening-benefit/).

If you think your readers would like it too, please feel free to use it on the Birds, Blooms, Books, etc. blog. There's code at the bottom of our post that makes it super easy to post on your blog. It's all free (of course). If you have any questions about posting it, let me know and I'll try to help.

I don't know where else to contact you so I just posted a comment here. :)

Thanks!

~ Janey
janealvarado83@gmail.com

Prairie Cat said...

A very nice use of something other people would consider garbage! You have reminded me that I need to get outside and start raking up all of our leaves to add to our compost. If only it would stop raining!

jeanlivingsimple said...

Marcia, What a great idea for re-purposing those wonderful rocks!

Thanks for the reply where you shared that Sapsuckers visited your suet feeders.You have given me hope that maybe...just maybe I will get some visits!