Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Conglomerate of Unrelated Observations

I. Amish Paste
First of the Amish paste tomatoes harvested at 5 o'clock. Yum!

II. Fragrance

The stargazer and white lilies are in bloom and the fragrance is extraordinary in my perennial garden. Each stalk is loaded with blooms so this display will be around for quite awhile.







III. Refrigerator Pickles

The pickle jar is filled to the maximum. The cucumbers are being transformed into pickles. I've been sampling them every couple of days. After the first sampling I had to add more sugar because I had put in too much salt. Only half of the last cucumber would fit so the rest of that one was eaten for lunch. There are more cucumbers to be picked ~ how do they grow so fast overnight? ~ and another refrigerator pickle recipe to try.



IV. The Culprit
Here it is, the bunny eating my plants. We sat at the dinner table last night and watched it munch away on the remaining impatiens. Fortunately for this rabbit I wasn't able to move all the impatiens to pots out of its reach. It has enjoyed them and now there are hardly any left for it to eat.

After eating it ambled over to this spot of grass and stretched out. It had its eye on us the whole time so we finally decided to get the camera and take its picture. My zoom isn't the best and I did crop the photo to enlarge it, but you can get a sense of how relaxed this critter is.



V. A Good Book
I do a lot of reading, some good books, some okay books. Terrible ones, I don't bother to finish. I finished a good book this weekend: "Prayers for Sale" by Sandra Dallas. Set in the midst of the Depression in the Rocky Mountains' gold country of Colorado, it is the story of a friendship between two women, one 86 years old and one 17 years old. They have quilting and sorrows in common and the friendship builds from that. The older one is a story teller so you're taken back to the Civil War and events that transpired then. It was a lovely read all the way through. I'll look for other books by this author next time I'm at the library.

4 comments:

Keggy said...

Beautiful lillies, I have some really pretty ones that I got from the lilly tour I went on last summer. When I retire I would like to have a blog about my garden, animals and also books. Thanks for the new book recommendation. I'll put it on my list.
Keggy

HolleyGarden said...

Your lilies are amazing! Now I know how pitiful mine really were! Pickles look good, but that rabbit! Too funny! Guess he was full so he decided to stretch out, or maybe he was protecting his territory! That book sounds like an interesting read. I may have to give it a look this winter.

jeanlivingsimple said...

I am so jealous! My Starglazer Lilies haven't done well. My tomato plants aren't producing. Your pickle jar makes my mouth water. I do have a cousin of your bunny in my yard.
The book does sound like a good read!

Anonymous said...

Love the lilies! That type lasts about two seasons here and that's it. Oh the bunny's funny.
Jeanni