Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Trial Plants - 2011 Update

Last year my friend in Nebraska at Bluebird Nursery sent me a variety of plants to try out. I've neglected to do a post about how they are doing this year until today. Not all of the plants survived their first summer with me and some didn't survive the winter here. This is a report on those that did make it.

Above is the phlox Natascha. They are loved by the ground hogs so must be surrounded by chicken wire to protect them. Last year only one of the three bloomed, but this year all three are blooming. Two of them are shown above. (Click on the photo to enlarge.) I am very pleased with how well they are doing. And the color is beautiful.

These are the heucheras - Snow Angel. They are not much bigger from last year and have yet to send up their flower stalks. They are a lovely color and I'll let them be in this location.

These hecheras are called Limelight. I lost one over the winter and these are struggling. It makes me wonder if they are too shaded in this location.

These are Carmel heucheras. I've seen this type in full sun as very large plants and again I'm wondering if my location in the glen garden in front of hostas is holding back their growth.

Last year all three Pink Cloud hibiscus were planted in this location. This spring I transplanted two of them to the perennial garden where they are growing well. This one gets full sun and has set some buds.

The ones in the perennial garden get less sun so buds have yet to set. But Japanese beetles have been munching on them. Yuck!


Here are the previous posts on Trial Plants:
Arrival,
Update 1
Update 2
Update 3
Update 4

2 comments:

The Sage Butterfly said...

The Japanese Beetles have begun munching on some of my plants as well. I can't complain too much because all my efforts to eradicate them have begun to work...I don't have as many as I have had in previous years.

HolleyGarden said...

Too bad you have to fence up the phlox. It's beautiful. That Japanese beetle picture is horrible!