Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Pond


It was a hot, humid day today and I was out working in it, too. Came in dripping with sweat but glad I'd spent the time out there. The pond is getting very overgrown but it's not something I can tame very much. Eventually the cat tails and irises will take over completely. Today I trimmed back some of the irises so I can see the water and so the seed pods do not fill the pond with seeds. I weeded as best I could since I was at the limits of my capacity in the heat by that point. It looks a lot better and I got the fountain going. The biggest surprise was seeing two gold fish. The heron didn't get them all.


My Joe Pye weed is the tallest its ever gotten. I keep finding new plants and transplanting them below the pond along the edge of the glen, but I don't think the conditions are wet enough there.


Water hyacinth is in bloom.


These grasses are loving this spot.


The bishop's weed ground cover (gout weed) under the day lilies gets munched on by the ground hog so it isn't an invasive as it is for other people.


I have two colors of stella d'oro lilies on the hillside next to the pond.



Another view of the pond and all the different green textures.


1 comment:

Robin said...

The pond looks good! I bet you were happy to find those two fish! I just love daylilies. I have about 30 varieties of them. I have never seen a stella d'oro that light color. I have a dark one and one that is the normal color.

The bishop's weed is very pretty. I have had such a time with it trying to take over my white garden though. Maybe I need a groundhog!