Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Teriyaki Beets

This evening I wanted to use some beets from the garden as a vegetable with dinner. I found this recipe that was a hit with everyone.

Teriyaki Beets from Winter Harvest Cookbook reprinted in from Asparagus to Zucchini: a Guide to Farm-Fresh Seasonal Produce by Madison Area Community Agriculture Coalition

12 small unpeeled beets
4 T butter
2 T honey
1 T minced fresh ginger
1 T soy sauce

Boil or steam the beets until almost tender. Rinse in cold water and cut into halves. (I quartered them.) Combine the other 4 ingredients in a small sauce pan and heat until the butter and honey are melted. Brush some sauce over beets and place on heated broiler pan. Broil 5-10 minutes until tender, basting frequently. Transfer to serving dish and pour remaining sauce over. (I put the beets into a foil pouch, poured on some sauce sealed it and put it on the grill. I poured over the remaining sauce before serving.)

1 comment:

Jannett said...

what a wonderful sounding recipes... :)