Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Favorite Tomato Sauce

Years ago Country Living Magazine had a wonderful food editor. Can't speak for the one they have now since I stopped subscribing a couple of years ago. A recipe from a long ago issue I have usurped as my all time favorite is for tomato sauce. It has three main ingredients: diced onions, tomatoes quartered, and basil. There is also salt and pepper and sugar to taste.



I saute the onions in olive oil until they're soft then add the tomatoes and basil. Stir occasionally to mix up the onions.

Everything cooks down. Add the sugar, salt and pepper (thought lately I've been doing without the salt).
Use an immersion blender to blend it all into a lovely sauce.

I know I didn't give you any quantities because I just use what I think. You will have to do the same. The sugar cuts the acidity of the tomatoes, so make it as sweet as you like. The amount of basil and onion is also a personal preference for those flavors. Enjoy on pasta with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. It's what's for dinner tonight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Onions, basil and tomatoes - you can't go wrong no matter what the quantities are!