Readers, Welcome to my blog (formerly Birds, Blooms, Books, etc). I'm entering a new decade taking on the challenge of moving from Maryland after living there 46 years and learning about my new home here in New England in the Live Free or Die state - New Hampshire. Join me as a write this new chapter of my life.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Fishing for Tadpoles - A Spectator Sport

Last evening after dinner I happened to look out towards the pond and there was a deer on the far side overlooking the pond. A second deer was on the edge of the glen. My first concern was what were they eating! When I moved to the study window for a better look I discovered that the deer on the pond was a spectator. There was a raccoon fishing for tadpoles on the edge of the pond. The deer was watching it intently. I've never seen animal species (other than cats or dogs) so intent on what another species is doing.

Before long the raccoon finished up and then sauntered under my deck! Oh no! The deer by this time had become aware of me and stared me down trying to smell what I was. I moved and they both were gone.

Time to spray another dose of Liquid Fence and sprinkle some small critter banisher around the deck. As I was finishing up I saw the raccoon had been routed from under the deck and was at the edge of the glen. I shooed it on away for this time.

1 comment:

browneyes said...

wow! too bad you didn't get any pictures.