Welcome reader to my blog - a mixture of this and that. Now that we are living in a retirement community in downtown Columbia, MD my personal gardening activities are somewhat curtailed. I still enjoy visiting gardens, reading, watching wildlife on my walks, traveling, and occasional food commentary. Please leave a comment if you feel inspired to do so. I read every one of them.

Saturday, August 9, 2008

Compost



Isn't it lovely? It's compost. An amazing thing happens when I put my yard waste and kitchen scraps in my compost bin. I know there are bugs and worms and other decomposers at work in there because I see them when I shovel it out. But I'm still amazed that they can turn those things in to this fine brown soil.



The biodegradable cup made of cornstarch is still intact in there. My daughter thought we should see if it would break down. I'll leave it in longer to see.

I used the compost yesterday to transplant a variety of plants. My soil is so poor here that I feel better putting the plants into compost than into the soil as is.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...